How to Keep Rodents Out of Your Attic
Rodents are notorious for finding their way into Dayton, Ohio homes and specifically attics. These pests can cause a plethora of problems, from gnawing on electrical wiring to carrying diseases that can affect both humans and pets. Don’t let rodents occupy your attic and cause damage to insulation, wires, and other household items. Critter Control of Dayton will safely and humanely remove rodents from your attic.
Why are rodents in my attic?
Rodents love attics because they make perfect nesting locations. They’re warm, unfrequented by humans, safe from natural predators, and may offer food. It can be difficult to detect a rodent infestation in your attic if you don’t frequent there often. Rodents may make quiet noises such as squeaking or scurrying sounds. You may also see visible signs of rodent infestation, including piles of droppings, shredded papers or cloths, or gnaw marks.
How do I keep them out?
There are a few ways to rodent-proof your attic and keep your Dayton home rodent-free.
- Check your roof and soffits for any small holes. Any rodent can take a pre-existing hole and gnaw it to make it bigger. Sealing up any kind of hole will cut the chances of a rodent invasion down.
- Check and rodent-proof your vents
- Place traps near the entrances of vents. This can work well if rodents have already gained access to your vents.
- Protect your vent with stainless steel mesh. This will prevent the rodents from getting into your vents. Cloth works well with bugs, but rodents can chew through it.
- Install a vent guard on your roof. Caging the area around the vents on your roof will keep any curious critters away from your outside vents.
Once rodents are removed from your attic it is likely that they will return to the same comfortable spot unless it is correctly sealed. Remember that rodents can enter through holes a quarter-inch wide.
The best way to keep rodents out of your attic is to leave it to the professionals.
Critter Control of Dayton offers attic restoration/ insulation, rodent prevention, and rodent removal services. Call 937.854.5761 and keep rodents out of your attic today!