Pigeons in the attic or on the roof? Those pesky rock doves leaving droppings all over are common pigeons. Pigeons are notorious for causing significant damage to buildings, vehicles, property and machinery with their excessive droppings. Not only do pigeon droppings cause odor and aesthetic problems in public places, droppings can also increase the rate of building destruction.
Pigeons have a bad reputation — they congregate on rooftops and defecate on cars and other structures. Pigeons are dependent on human activity in order to thrive, so they are often found in human-oriented areas. Call us at 937.854.5761 or visit our handy online form here.
GET RID OF PIGEONS
Pigeons go way back in history; Charles Darwin even used pigeons to formulate parts of his Theory of Evolution, and modern-day people raise them for food, to race, and for the delivery of messages. Despite all the ways pigeons can be utilized for human needs, the birds are considered the most common bird pest.
- Since they are drawn to nesting sites where food is abundant, pigeon control must center on the elimination of food sources.
- To keep pigeons out of parks, feeding should be strictly regulated. To keep the pests out of residential yards, property owners should seal trash bins, remove collections of debris, and trim trees and shrubs.
- Additionally, a number of products exist to keep pigeons from nesting on structures. Mesh netting and bird spikes, for example, can both be utilized successfully to stop the birds from nesting on roofs, in barns, steeples, and on building ledges.
Common Pigeon Problems
- Pigeons commonly nest in ornamental lawn trees, barns, attics, and on roofs of residential homes.
- Since their preferred food sources include grains and seeds, garbage, the manure of livestock, insects, and nearly anything people will feed them, pigeons are also commonly found on farms, in places of business, and storage facilities like feed mills and grain elevators.
- Pigeons are actually quite unhygienic animals. Their droppings are abundant wherever infestations are present and stain building facades, park benches, statues, and cars. In addition to being aesthetically displeasing, pigeon droppings accelerate deterioration of building materials and are malodourous. Furthermore, their excrement contains pathogens of numerous diseases, including ornithosis, encephalitis, toxoplasmosis, and food poisoning. The birds can also harbor fleas, lice, mites, and ticks in their feathers and consume and contaminate stores of food meant for human and livestock consumption.
Pigeon Trapping and Removal Services
As pigeons spread a number of diseases, individuals are safer not approaching them. In areas where pigeon infestations threaten the general public's health and well-being, pest control professionals should be called in to handle the problem. The trained technicians at Critter Control have the tools and knowledge of pigeon behavior to effectively and safely remove the birds.
We can help you get rid of pigeon problems. Call our office at 937.854.5761 today!